Reuters reported Monday that Canada and the United States were set to extend a ban imposed to fight the coronavirus outbreak.The rules, first issued in March, have been repeatedly extended in 30-day blocks.The restrictions do not cover trade across a US-Canada border that stretches 5,525 miles (8,891 km) or air travel.Passenger crossings have fallen by 90% or more at many border crossings and hit tourist destinations along US borders.In May, passenger traffic in Detroit fell to 45,000 people crossing, down from 502,000 passengers crossing in February.At San Ysidro, California, on the US-Mexico border, passenger and pedestrian traffic fell from more than 2.9 million people crossing in February to 1.3 million in May.The restrictions do not apply to travelers who are getting to work, or people travelling for family care, educational or humanitarian reasons. Topics : Restrictions on non-essential travel at US land borders with Canada and Mexico will be extended through Aug. 21, Canada and the United States announced on Thursday.”Canada and the United States have agreed to extend the current border measures by one month until August 21, and we’re going to keep working closely with our American neighbors to keep people safe on both sides of the border,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said at a news conference.Earlier, acting US Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf announced the 30-day extension on Twitter that “close collaboration with our neighbors has allowed us to respond to #COVID19 in a North American approach and slow the travel-related spread of the virus.”
Court records indicate that a Tennessee Department of Corrections (TBI) administrator was sexually assaulted and strangled to death by an escaped inmate who remains on the loose.The victim, 64-year-old Debra Johnson of Nashville, was found dead last Wednesday in her residence, which is located on the grounds of West Tennessee State Penitentiary.According to court documents, inmate Curtis Watson drove a golf cart to Johnson’s residence, where he then strangled her to death with a cord. Evidence also shows that he sexually assaulted her.At 7 a.m. on Wednesday, Watson was assigned to work duty. He was seen as a “trustworthy” inmate, and was therefore given access to the golf cart and a tractor. He was also required to wear a reflective vest while he was on work detail.Johnson was on the phone at 8:10 a.m., a TBI timeline reveals.Watson was seen on a golf cart at Johnson’s home on the grounds at around 8:30 a.m.Sometime between 9 and 10 a.m., Watson took a tractor and fled the prison grounds.Workers soon discovered that Watson was missing, and went to check on Johnson, who was found dead at 11:30 a.m.A reflective vest was also discovered in her home, while the tractor that Watson stole was located two miles away at 1:30 p.m.Watson is considered extremely dangerous and should not be approached. A $52,500 reward is being offered in the case.Anyone who sees him is being asked to call (800) TBI-FIND.
On Friday, President Donald Trump said that he is ready to sign an executive order that will offer unemployment supplements, eviction protection, and a payroll tax holiday through the end of the year.Trump said the order could be signed by the end of the week, and that he has lawyers currently drawing up the order.The executive order comes as Congress has stalled on negotiations with the White House on another round of stimulus funds. It also remains questionable how some of his edicts will be funded without Congressional authorization.Trump did not specify how much the unemployment supplement would be for, but it would be retroactive to the beginning of the month. Previously, a $600 a week supplement for unemployed workers expired on July 31.Trump announced that his executive order will continue a freeze on federal student loan payments until further notice.He also said he will continue a moratorium on evictions through the end of the year. And his executive order would implement a payroll tax holiday through Dec. 31.
There were some strong results from veteren skaters as well. Charly DeFouw, 12, earned Gold in Jr. Silver Dance, Christina Champlin, 15, notched Gold for her Pre Novice short program, Courtney Shrieves, 15, placed seventh in Pre Introductory Interpretive, and Breanna Tomlin finished seventh in Introductory Interpretive.With teams travelling from across the region and officials and support services arriving from around the province, the competition was a huge logistical undertaking by the NFSC.“I can’t say enough about the community support we got- it was unbelievable,” commented NFSC President Jane Macleod, who has spent more than a year planning and organizing with the support of many local businesses.“I received so many comments on how well the event came off.”In the Star 1 category the Nelson results were: Lila Mckechnie, Gold; Leo Measures, Silver; Helene Keating, Silver; Tia Berrens, Silver; Mallory Pinske, Silver; Aurora Panko-Dool, Bronze.In Star 2 Isabella Kroker Kimber received Bronze while in Star 3 Tao measures received Silver and Angelica Ross, Bronze.In these levels skaters do not compete against each other but receive rankings from the judges of Gold, Silver or Bronze.Shaen Panko-Dool wrapped up her skating career by competing in two events, Bronze Elements and Star 4 Freeskate program finishing 8th and 9th in those events respectively.Complete Nelson skating results can be seen at neslonfigureskating.com. The region’s best young figure skaters squared off in Nelson last weekend at the Kootenay Regional Figure Skating Championships.Hosted by the Nelson Figure Skating Club (NFSC), the three-day event determined the 2013 champions across a range of categories from Elements to Pairs to the crowd- pleasing Interpretive programs.Thirteen skaters from the host club participated, giving friends and family a rare chance to see skaters compete on home ice.Considering the club has been plagued with injuries and a number of senior skaters gone from last season, coach Yoshie Measures was pleased with her club’s effort.“We have a number of young skaters in our Junior Academy program competing for the first time,” Measures said.“They are the club’s stars of tomorrow.”
VEHICLE HAS RETAIL VALUE OF $42,000 ARCADIA, Calif. (July 4, 2016)–There’s an old adage among gamblers and horseplayers that if you don’t participate, you could be walking around “lucky” and not know it. Safe to say Jim Summers of Solana Beach is glad he decided to come to the races on Monday at Santa Anita, as he ended up winning a 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC courtesy of Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia, which is part of the Rusnak Auto Group, when the Doug O’Neill-trained first time starter Dynamite Charge won the sixth race on the Independence Day card, thus making Summers the beneficiary of the Mercedes-Benz GLC giveaway staged by Santa Anita and Mercedes-Benz of Arcadia.“I’ve been playing the horses since I was 18,” said Summers, 57, of Solana Beach. “I love the people and the action. It’s just fun coming to the track and looking for horses to play.“I came up today and had a few of the dollar beers with a couple friends, we’re all San Diego guys. I’m gonna keep the car. I have to pick it up by July 30 here at Rusnak in Arcadia.”Summers, who works in the San Diego area as an actuary, qualified as a Top 10 finalist in the Mercedes-Benz giveaway contest through an online entry at santaanita.com.“This contest has really been a win-win for everyone involved and we’re very appreciative of Rusnak/Arcadia for helping to make it happen,” said Santa Anita’s Vice President of Marketing, Nate Newby. “It’s really nice to have a guy like Jim win this as well. He’s a lifelong horseplayer so it’s great to see him hit this kind of a jackpot. We just wish he lived closer to Santa Anita!”Donated by Rusnak/Arcadia, the 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC has a retail value of $42,000.
Source: BuaNews Manuel also allocated funds to increase the take-up of antiretroviral (ARV) treatment programmes in the country. 22 October 2008 Other allocations included new proposed salary scales for doctors, dentists, pharmacists and related health professionals. The 2008 Report on the Global Aids Epidemic, released by the United Nations Joint Programme on HIV/Aids (UNAids) in July, confirmed that the prevalence of HIV/Aids in South Africa had stabilised and was beginning to decrease. South Africa’s public health sector is to be given additional resources to boost HIV/Aids treatment and prevention, reduce the country’s TB treatment defaulter rate, introduce new vaccines to combat child mortality, and increase the salaries of health professionals. In the same month, the Department of Health reported thatm, by end of April 2008, more than 478 000 South Africans were on ARV treatment programmes. Also included in Manuel’s medium term budget policy statement is funding for expanded tuberculosis (TB) track and trace teams in the country. According to the most recent survey of HIV prevalence among pregnant women attending public antenatal clinics, South Africa’s overall HIV prevalence decreased from an estimated 29.2% in 2006 to 28% in 2007. In a bid to reduce South Africa’s TB treatment defaulter rate from 10% to 7%, 20% of health facilities in the country now have TB tracing teams. The teams go out into communities to encourage TB patients to complete their course of treatment, thus reducing the risk of patients developing a resistance to TB drugs. Delivering his medium term budget policy statement in Parliament on Tuesday, Finance Minister Trevor Manuel said the government has allocated additional resources to provide for three new vaccines to reduce the number of children dying from pneumonia and diarrhoea.
7 March 2013Mining giant BHP Billiton has unveiled a new R1-billion furnace at Samancor Manganese’s Metalloys smelter in Meyerton, south of Johannesburg, as the company moves to support the government’s drive to increase metals beneficiation in South Africa.According to Engineering News, the so-called M14 furnace is the latest of four large furnaces at Metalloys, one of the world’s largest manganese smelters, and will allow BHP Billiton to beneficiate close to 30% of the manganese ore it mines locally.BHP Billiton said on Wednesday that the furnace, the largest new investment in the country’s manganese industry, had increased Metalloys’ production capacity by 81 MVA. The furnace is designed to produce 120 000 kt of high carbon ferro manganese per annum, and includes improvements to ensure increased reliability and pollution control.The furnace will also contribute additional carbon monoxide (CO) gas to the onsite power generation plant for additional power output, thus raising Metalloys’ energy self-sufficiency level.According to Engineering News, BHP Billiton has a 60% share in Samancor Manganese, with the remaining 40% held by Anglo American.Tom Schutte, global president of BHP Billiton Manganese, said that more than 80 percent of the world’s high grade manganese resources were in the Northern Cape. “Every one of the major and minor commodities of the world today has some degree of South African influence,” he added.Speaking at Wednesday’s unveiling, Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu said South Africa was by far the wealthiest mineral jurisdiction in the world.While the country had significant proven reserves of manganese, exploitation of the mineral had not been reflective of its development potential, she said. “The traditional focus on mining and exporting of un-beneficiated minerals can’t continue.“The government’s industrialisation policy calls for a paradigm shift in mineral development, strategic investment in assets to maximise long-term growth beneficiation projects, enhanced value of exports, increased sources for consumption of local content, and creation of opportunities for sustainable jobs.”Shabangu commended BHP Billiton for its investment, adding that mining should be about creating jobs and contributing to skills development.SAinfo reporter and SAnews.gov.za
Valdez put up a personal tournament-high of 20 points to lead the Philippines while Jaja Santiago also had her best offensive game yet with 19. Aby Maraño chipped in 11 points to aid the Philippines.Tran Thi Thanh Thuy led Vietnam with 16 points while captain Nguyen Thi Ngoc Hoa added 15.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Alyssa Valdez dealt the killing blow to the 44th-ranked team in the world off a booming spike that set up the Philippines’ quarterfinals date against 2015 gold medalists Thailand.“They played inspired,” said Philippine head coach Francis Vicente of his 79th-ranked team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“What they showed there just now was the heart of a team that really wanted to win and that was the greatest thing I saw today,” said Vicente in Filipino.Aiza Maizo-Pontillas gave the Philippines the 24-20 match point but Vietnam managed to score three straight points before Valdez landed the final haymaker of the match. Read Next Japan shakes off slow start, grounds Thailand to top Pool F View comments Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Philippines’ Alyssa Valdez reacts after scoring a point against Vietnam. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOBIÑAN, Laguna—The Philippines came away with an absolute stunner in the AVC Asian Senior Women’s Volleyball Championship taking down Vietnam, 27-25, 26-24, 17-25, 25-23, in the classification stage Monday at Alonte Sports Arena.The Filipinos improved to 1-2 in Pool E while Vietnam, the silver medalist in the 2015 Southeast Asian Games, slipped to the same record.ADVERTISEMENT WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games LATEST STORIES Man sworn in as lawyer by judge who sentenced him to prison as a teen 20 years ago MOST READ Flags of SEA Games countries raised at Athletes Village Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president NBA: Warriors to repeat as champs, LeBron to win MVP, GM survey says Brooklyn Nets guard Jeremy Lin is perhaps best known for two things: his daredevil drives to the hoop and his penchant for rocking multiple hairstyles.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe 29-year-old Asian-American point guard recently unveiled his boldest choice yet—a set of bushy dreadlocks, which is most often sported by African-American athletes.ADVERTISEMENT Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games His choice of new hairstyle caught the ire of retired NBA forward Kenyon Martin who accused the Harvard graduate of “wanting to be black.” Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Read Next Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ View comments Lin quipped back with a reverent response, claiming he did it out of respect for the black culture and also pointed out Martin’s tattoo bearing Chinese characters.In a video uploaded by TMZ, the 14-year NBA veteran apologized to Lin, but claimed his new hairdo still looked ridiculous.He also explained that his comments were supposed to be light-hearted, but was eventually blown out of proportion by some netizens.“This was never meant to be racial. It was thought of as what would’ve been done in our locker room,” Martin said in a separate report from Sports Illustrated. “It would’ve been jokes. We would’ve been making jokes.”The one-time NBA All-Star added that Lin is a grown man who could style his hair whichever he pleased.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary “He has the right to rock any hairstyle he wants. It got out of control. It wasn’t meant to be anything more than banter,” he explained.“Jeremy is an athlete and I would hope he understood that this was in fun and not to offend and as long as he’s not offended that’s all that matters. I wish him well.”Martin added that he already reached out to Lin personally, but continues to receive negative comments from people online.“People were sending messages to my son. Like, no. Say whatever to me and about me. I have thick skin. I know what my intentions were,” Martin said. “But then those are the things that are coming across. You n**ga this. Your n**ga that.”Aside from his Player’s Tribune piece about cultural appropriation, Lin also detailed the matter further to Brooklyn Nets reporter Anthony Puccio. Khristian Ibarrola /raJeremy Lin spoke extensively about Kenyon Martin’s comments after the game: pic.twitter.com/JaDH1Du8V0— Anthony Puccio (@APOOCH) October 6, 2017