Corporate killing law delayedOn 2 Jan 2003 in Personnel Today Comments are closed. Campaigners are dismayed to learn that the corporate responsibility law has been put back once againThe Government’s long-awaited law on corporate killing has fallen by thewayside yet again. Health and safety campaigners had been hoping the law – designed to make iteasier for victims of accidents or their families to bring prosecutions againstorganisations that fail in their health and safety duties – would be includedin November’s Queen’s Speech. But there was no sign of it and no indication from the Government of whenparliamentary time might be found for it, although ministers stress they arestill committed to implementation. A Home Office spokesman told Occupational Health: “There is a manifestocommitment to legislate on increasing the liability of corporations tomanslaughter. It was not in the Queen’s Speech, but that does not preclude itfrom being included in this or a future session of Parliament.” He added:”We shall still legislate when Parliamentary time allows.” Former Home Secretary Jack Straw promised the law back in 1997, in the wakeof the Southall rail crash. When time is found for it – which may not be until 2004 – it is expected thelaw will mean organisations will have to nominate a director who will beresponsible for health and safety, and who could even face a jail term ifstandards fall below an agreed minimum. Health and safety campaigners fear the delay is the result of lobbying byemployers and have reacted with dismay to yet another delay. David Bergman, director of the Centre for Corporate Accountability, said:”It is five years since the Government promised to reform the law ofcorporate manslaughter – yet there will still be more delays.” But employers welcomed the delay, with the Engineering Employers’ Federationsaying that as it stood, the legislation would have been unfair, although inprinciple the Government was on the right lines. The CBI called for the Government and industry to continue to work togetherto come up with a long-term solution. Previous Article Next Article Related posts:No related photos.
The two new cases were a 39-year-old female (Patient No. 820) and a 71-year-old female (Patient No. 821). Two new cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) were recorded in the neighborhood just days after a resident there died due to the viral illness. Treñas’ EO ordered the households to observe the following: The healthcare worker is currently at the city’s quarantine facility./PN The wife and daughter were both tested on July 17, two days after Patient No. 679’s test result was released. The mother-daughter test results came out on July 22. As of 2 p.m. yesterday, 197 individuals from these families have already been swabbed. Family members would also be swabbed and the specimens tested for the presence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Mayor Jerry Treñas ordered the neighborhood lockdown beginning Wednesday afternoon, July 22. His Executive Order (EO) No. 105, series of 2020 covered 20 households considered as “high-risk” but yesterday 24 other households considered as “medium risk” were included in the lockdown, too. ILOILO City – Forty-four households in a neighborhood at Zone 2, Barangay Bo. Obrero, Lapuz district are on a three-day “surgical extreme enhanced community quarantine.” Under Treñas’ EO, persons positive for COVID-19 in RT-PCT test shall be confined at the St. Therese MTCC Hospital which the city government tapped as its COVID-19 partner hospital. * Only Authorized Persons Outside Residence (APOR) shall be allowed to enter and/or leave the neighborhood, and existing health and safety measures shall be strictly imposed. The neighborhood’s two new COVID-19 cases were the wife and daughter of Patient No. 679, the 80-year-old male who died on July 7 but whose COVID-19-positive test result was known and released only on July 15. The city government has been providing food – and medicines, if necessary – to the 44 households since Wednesday, he added. The lockdown would end on Saturday afternoon, July 25, unless extended. “Gina-consider ina sia (Patient No. 679) nga local case. Ang source sang transmission was within the area, puede dira sa ila nga lugar or puede nga may close contact sia nga wala lang naton nabal-an,” said Pulmones. According to Dr. Sophia Pulmones, head of the Department of Health (DOH) Region 6’s Local Health Support Division, Patient No. 679 had on and off fever, loose bowel movement and shortness of breath on July 3. Aside from his wife and daughter, Patient 679 also infected a healthcare worker – a 53-year-old female from Mandurriao or Patient No. 822, said Pulmones. “Nag-lockdown kita kay basi may maka-close contact pa sa pamilya,” said Treñas. On July 6 he was hospitalized and tested. He died the following day, a week before his test result came out. From what DOH-6 so far gathered, Patient No. 679 had no history of travel outside Iloilo City but he attended a fiesta celebration in Lapuz before exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms. Patient No. 820 is currently on home quarantine while Patient No. 821 is being isolated at the city’s quarantine facility. * All forms of transportation, both private and public, are restricted. * Refrain from unnecessary travel until the COVID-19 testing and sanitation process have been completed.