Jay board sets sewer rate, approves grant for fire department

first_imgJAY – The Board of Selectpersons opted to hold the town’s sewer rate steady for another year at Monday’s meeting, in addition to authorizing the use of grant funding to purchase an all-terrain vehicle for Jay Fire Rescue.The board approved a fee of $315 for minimum users, covering up to 3,200 cubic feet of water usage. Beyond 3,200 cubic feet, users will be charged .0952 cents per cubic foot used. That rate, which is effective July 1, 2020, is the same as the one currently in effect. According to figures provided to the board by Sewer Department Superintendent Mark Holt, that rate is anticipated to cover roughly 90 percent of the department’s operations and maintenance budget.The board also voted to accept $20,000 from the Stephen & Tabitha King Foundation to go toward the purchase of a side-by-side ATV for the town’s fire department. In a letter sent to the foundation as part of the grant application, the department said that the ATV would allow firefighters to respond to woods fires, ATV and snowmobile crashes and back country rescues both in Jay and when responding to mutual aid calls throughout the region.The ATV could also assist the police department or EMTs when responding to calls, the department said. The Public Works Department also occasionally uses an ATV to drag the town’s ball fields.In addition to carrying personnel and equipment, the ATV will be equipped with year-round tracks and transported on a trailer.To help cover the cost of the trailer, Police Chief Richard Caton IV supported selling the JPD’s four-wheeler and its accompanying, smaller trailer to go toward purchasing a larger version for the new side-by-side, according to information provided by Town Manager Shiloh LaFreniere.last_img read more

Continue reading

Randy Frye on jobs, job training and graduates

first_imgIndianapolis, In. — Graduation season is upon us, and it is time to celebrate our local high school seniors who are finishing up their final classes. Students will now be facing important decisions regarding their next steps. Helpful tools like the Next Level Jobs initiative, Workforce Ready Grants, and Secondary Career and Technical Education are available to help guide those looking to gain more skills and information to enter the workforce.Indiana’s unemployment rate is 3.2 percent, which is one of the lowest in the nation. We can keep up this momentum by preparing our young Hoosiers for the ever-evolving job market. They need to be able to meet the increased needs of employers locating to and expanding in our state. In response to this, Gov. Eric Holcomb launched the Next Level Jobs initiative last year. This initiative provides Hoosiers access to new resources so they may secure advanced and better-paying jobs, and gives employers additional tools to help fill positions in high-demand fields.Workforce Ready Grants, established by legislation I supported, covers tuition costs for working-age Hoosiers pursuing technical jobs. These grants aim to grow and strengthen the labor force in our state by helping individuals seeking employment in high-wage jobs. The grant pays the tuition and mandatory fees at Ivy Tech Community College or Vincennes University. The certificate programs covered by the grant include advanced manufacturing, building and construction, health sciences, information technology and business technology, and transportation and logistics.Learn more about Next Level Jobs, the Workforce Ready Grant and other opportunities through the Next Level Jobs initiative at nextleveljobs.org.Additional tools Hoosiers should be aware of are the Secondary Career and Technical Education courses. These courses are available to youth and adults for a wide range of high-wage and high-skill technical careers. Students still in high school may, with parental consent, elect to release their information on a form provided by the Department of Education to potential employers recruiting students with a particular career and technical skill.The future of our workforce falls in the hands of our upcoming graduates, and they should be aware of the assistance that is available to them. If there is any way I can help connect you to a workforce resource or if you have any additional questions, please contact me at [email protected] or 317-234-3827. You can also stay up-to-date with the work being done at the Statehouse and news in our community by signing up to receive my email updates at www.in.gov/h67.last_img read more

Continue reading

Wildcat Netters Fall Short To Lions

first_imgFranklin County High School Boys Varsity Tennis falls to Rushville Consolidated High School 3-2. #1 Singles Jack Stirn 6-1, 6-0 vs. Jake Carroll#2 Singles Brant Ertel 3-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-7 (6-8) vs. Marlin Hershberger#3 Singles Landen Wuestefeld 1-6, 0-6 vs. Sam Smith#1 Doubles Kurt Oetzel & Lonnie Schwartz 6-7 (2-7), 6-7 (7-9) vs. Braiden Hunter & Cameron Jackman#2 Doubles Will Wade & Evan McMillin 7-5, 6-3 vs. Bryce Berkemeier & Alex WainwrightCourtesy of Wildcats Coach Dylan Little.last_img read more

Continue reading

Steve McClaren trying to keep cool as Newcastle look to avoid relegation

first_img “Believe me, under the surface, I am paddling like mad,” the former England boss said. “But we have a little bit more information than everyone else. We know what we have got and what we are trying to do. “We feel as if we are getting there after a tough start. That is the first half of the season gone. 2015 is about to end – good. We cannot wait for the next year. “It has not been good enough and that is why we are in the bottom three. That is where we are realistic and we need to do something about it – and we will do.” The new year needs to bring drastically enhanced fortunes if Newcastle are to drag themselves out of trouble after a desperately disappointing 12 months since Alan Pardew left the club. They have collected just 30 points from 38 league games during 2015 and have managed only 17 of those in 19 outings under McClaren. Things are unlikely to get any easier on Saturday against current leaders Arsenal, but McClaren is keeping positive. Asked if he is worried by the situation, the 54-year-old said: “No, there are 19 games to go. “It would worry me if they weren’t giving attitude, effort, weren’t being bright around the place, weren’t playing as committed as they were, weren’t creating chances as we are, playing the football that we are. Steve McClaren is “paddling like mad” below the surface as he attempts to keep the mood positive at struggling Newcastle. “We are just not getting the results from that. That will have to turn, that will have to change and, with 19 games to go, we will have to do it very quickly. “I’m quite a realist. I do know what is happening and I try not to pull the wool over too many people’s eyes. I’m very positive with this group and this squad. I always have been. “We had a tough start, but since then we have collected points and shown we can compete with anyone on our day.” The Magpies have slipped back into the Barclays Premier League relegation zone after taking just a single point from their last three games against Aston Villa, Everton and West Brom. Some fans were baffled by head coach McClaren’s upbeat assessment of his team’s prospects in the wake of Monday’s 1-0 defeat at the Hawthorns, but he is working hard to keep spirits up. Press Associationlast_img read more

Continue reading