MASON CITY — A Mason City man has been sentenced to ten years in prison after pleading guilty to vehicular homicide after an accident that killed a passenger on his motorcycle. 41-year-old Brandon Kellar was charged last October with vehicular homicide while operating under the influence and vehicular homicide by reckless driving in connection with the September 28th 2018 accident at the intersection of 15th and South Pennsylvania in Mason City. 36-year-old Shawn True was a passenger on the motorcycle that collided with another vehicle and died from injuries sustained in the crash. Mason City police say the investigation determined that Kellar was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash with a blood alcohol content of greater than the legal limit of .08. As part of a plea agreement with prosecutors, Kellar agreed to plead guilty to vehicular homicide by reckless driving, a Class C felony. District Judge James Drew on Tuesday sentenced Kellar to ten years in prison and ordered that he pay $150,000 in restitution to True’s family.
By Muriel J. SmithRUMSON – After hearing 40 minutes of reports from the education, policy and ad hoc committees on book selections for juniors and seniors, the Rumson-Fair Haven Regional Board of Education, in informal action, praised the findings of the committees which all recommended that regardless of parental opinions that two books were deemed obscene because of their content and language, both should remain required reading.Siobhan Fallon Hogan, who with her husband led the move that eventually had 325 parents sign petitions to have “Cal” and “Death and the Maiden” not be banned, but to permit alternative selections for their being required reading, expressed disappointment at the reports and pointed out that the parents who protested to the required reading were not shown any respect. “There is a strong current of hypocrisy at RFH,” she told The Two River Times. “Ironically after the last BOE meeting … the senior parents received a letter from the administration that said, ‘No costumes are permitted that are of fensive to any sexual orientation preference or to any national, ethnic, religious or gender groups.’ Yet these books … of fend 325 parents and they are not only allowed but required reading. The administration places demands on students and parents in regards to areas that they deem important, yet a group of 325 parents gets zero respect or consideration. They do not tolerate or respect our wishes which are simply that our children receive an education where the bar is raised.”In the school library, which ironically had two posters promoting Banned Books Week, the board heard lengthy reports from member Sarah Maris, who explained the ad hoc committee had met for two hours and reviewed all the complaints about “Cal” and “Death and the Maiden,” and Lourdes Lucas of the policy committee, who said it is important for students to become “comfortable with the uncomfortable.”Maris said the committee found that the coarse language included in the books is common and gave a stronger understanding of the situation described in the book. Language and sexual scenes in “Cal” were not designed to titillate, she said, but rather tell the struggles of the people involved. She said the committee found that the brief sexual sections in the book should not shock students. Earlier in her report, the board member had pointed out the health classes and grade levels in the school’s education policy including anatomy and sexual education in freshman year, family structures, sexuality values, birth control and respect in the junior year, along with the mechanics of sexual function and social behavior, and a refresher in senior year, all were positive educational areas in the health curriculum.The committee reports indicated that analyzing quotations and critical thinking are important areas of education to prepare high school students for the challenges of college, and changing the program to include alternative reading of other selections for students whose parents objected to these two books would not be effective and would require more of the teacher’s time since common reading and discussion is important towards those goals.Maris said it “would be a nightmare for parents to choose and against our goal for educational excellence.” Teachers would talk in advance to students about uncomfortable passages, she said, and if a student is uncomfortable, there are many professionals in the building, in addition to their own parents, to whom they could talk. In reading the reports, Maris alluded to premature ejaculation explained in health classes, then shuddered and added, “I can’t believe I said that at a board of education meeting.”Board member Lourdes Lucas gave two reports from committees, noting it was good that concerns were raised since it gave the board the opportunity to review the entire policy. She indicated it was a high school requirement to assist students to “be comfortable with the uncomfortable” before they enter college. The committee did recommend greater transparency but found the policy on the mechanics for raising concerns is sufficient as it stands. Lucas continued that the educators select the books to help students understand the complex truths of the world and for their literary and educational value. She conceded in the report that there is no written policy on book selection, but students and parents have the right to discuss the selections.Others at the public hearing following the report reading both praised and criticized the work of the committees, with some saying the ad hoc committee, which included the English Department chairman, the principal who had openly opposed any change at the October board meeting, and the librarian who works under the principal “doomed any changes before they even met.”After the public hearing, when many of the parents had left the meeting, Board President Lisa Waters invited board members to express their opinions of the reports. Most praised the detail, research and time the committees spent in compiling their report, noting it had been a vigorous process.
Staff at Mallard’s Source for sports would like to honour the Wildcats as Team of the Week. The Kootenay Wildcats are well represented at the 2015 Female U18 BC Cup in Richmond. The U18 BC Cup is a jamboree format featuring four teams. The weekend will consist of fitness testing, practices, seminars, and games where players will be evaluated on their performance. The three Kootenay Wildcats are Kendra Waterstreet of Fruitvale, Tiana Ewasiuk of Cranbrook and Nelson’s Merissa Dawson. The trio, that played in the BC Hockey Female AAA League last season, went through fitness testing and are now going through practice in preparation for games Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
— Harry Kane on being told there are Russian dolls or “matroyshka” in his likeness appearing on souvenir stalls in Moscow’s Red Square.“Maybe a bit of justice has been done at the end to get one at the back post. I think there could have been a couple of penalties. It shows good character to get on with it and that’s what we’ve done.”— Kane after his 91st-minute goal broke Tunisian hearts.“Leo has kicked a thousand penalties which have been a thousand goals so who am I to say something after a penalty.”— Argentina defender Gabriel Mercado refuses to wade in on the debate over Lionel Messi’s role as penalty-taker despite the Barcelona star missing four of his last seven spot-kicks for club and country.“I can understand that he was frustrated that he didn’t get the result that he wanted. If we would be in his position we would probably be as frustrated as him.”— Defender Birkir Saevarsson says he understands Messi’s frustrations at Iceland’s tactics in their 1-1 draw.“I think you need to start! I need a substitution now!”— Iran coach Carlos Queiroz, pointing to midfielder Masoud Shojaei after speaking at length during a chaotic press conference a day before meeting Spain.“A coach who loses a match is never right. We always wonder about what we’ve done right or wrong, we don’t need journalists for that. When you’ve lost your opener obviously you’re not happy.”— Morocco coach Herve Renard doesn’t feel the need to explain what went wrong in his team’s shock opening 1-0 loss to Iran.De Gea made a woeful mistake to concede Cristiano Ronaldo’s second goal © AFP/File / PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU“We don’t doubt him and he doesn’t doubt himself either.“I embraced him. We know goalkeeper is a special position, with a special psychology, and we have no doubts. Honestly.”— Spain coach Fernando Hierro defends under-fire goalkeeper David De Gea.“If it was just one game, we’d have had a parade on the streets of Saransk, but we have more games to come, so we will save our celebrations”— New Japan coach Akira Nishino in playful mood after his team pulled off an opening shock in Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat of Colombia0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Kane rescued England with a clever headed injury-time winner © AFP / NICOLAS ASFOURIMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Jun 19 – AFP Sport picks out some of the best quotes at the World Cup:“I’ve seen a couple of those Russian dolls, they make me look a bit chubby. I’ll have to get one.”
Eric Dier has already won over the Spurs faithful with a winner against West Ham 1 [View the story “Spurs fans react to Eric Dier’s winner v West Ham” on Storify]
1 Christian Benteke’s agent claims there has been NO interest in the Belgian – and insists his client is only focused on his Aston Villa career.The 24-year-old has been in sparkling form since Tim Sherwood became Villa manager in February, scoring nine goals in his last eight appearances after managing only three until then for previous boss Paul Lambert.That form has led to speculation that the forward Villa signed from Belgian club Genk for £7million in August 2012 could move on at the end of the summer, with both Liverpool and Manchester United reported to be monitoring the situation.But Benteke still has two years left on his current contract and his agent Eris Kismet says the 24-year-old is solely focused on Villa’s fight for Barclays Premier League survival and FA Cup final date with Arsenal on May 30.“At the moment, there is no interest,” Kismet told Sky Sports News HQ.“Every player and staff member is concentrated on avoiding relegation, anything else is just a distraction.“I know everyone wants the same thing because I watch the games and I think Aston Villa are playing the best football in England right now.”Villa are just two points clear of the relegation zone after Saturday’s 3-2 defeat at Manchester City but have reached only their second FA Cup final since 1957, with Benteke on target in the 2-1 semi-final victory against Liverpool. Christian Benteke in action for Aston Villa
Ilkay Gundogan 1 Arsenal and Manchester United target Ilkay Gundogan could join AC Milan this summer – despite only recently signing an extension to his current deal at Borussia Dortmund.talkSPORT told you this week that the highly-rated 24-year-old, who has penned a new contract at the Westfalenstadion until 2017, is expected to stay with the Bundesliga side for at least one more season.However, Milan are weighing up a £20m bid for the Germany international and it has been revealed by the La Gazzetta dello Sport that Gundogan’s relationship with the Dortmund fans has become strained.The Gunners and Louis van Gaal’s side are monitoring the former Nuremberg defensive midfielder’s availability but the Rossoneri have emerged as strong candidates to bring him to the San Siro this summer.A bid from either Premier League side for Gundogan could hinge on whether Morgan Schneiderlin decides to leave Southampton.
Manchester United have disappointed this term, with Louis van Gaal’s future consequently becoming the subject of much debate.The Red Devils have struggled to keep pace with a spot in the Premier League’s top four, and there is concern that their place in next season’s Champions League is slowly slipping away.But this worry doesn’t appear to have put the club off from targetting some of the biggest names Europe has to offer.Take a look at the latest news and rumours on United, including a major double deal wanted by the club’s sponsors Adidas, by clicking the yellow arrow above, right. 1. Aleksandar Dragovi? – Red Devils closing in on £15.8m deal? Read all about it, below, then click right to find out about six more Man United transfer stories – While United have impressed defensively this season, injuries have left Van Gaal short of options at the back. According to reports, the former Netherlands manager is therefore looking to strengthen his backline this month, and United are said to be hours away from agreeing a £15.8m deal for Dynamo Kiev centre back Dragovic. 7 7 7 2. Toni Kroos – Vaal wants German midfielder partnership? – United are, according to various reports, set to battle Chelsea for the Germany international. The Red Devils failed to lure Kroos from Bayern Munich before the start of last season, but their interest remains intact after his Real Madrid move. It has been claimed that the Premier League giants have held talks with the midfielders agent over a £40m move to Old Trafford. Although with confirmation of Los Blancos transfer ban until the summer of 2017, this deal could be out of their reach. 7 3. Islam Slimani – Red Devils to battle with Premier League rivals? – Slimani, a target for Crystal Palace, West Ham United and Leicester City this month, could on his way to Old Trafford. The Algeria international has scored 13 goals in 16 league appearances this season, and with goals proving hard to come by for the Red Devils, Van Gaal could turn to the striker this month. According to reports, United have been monitoring his performances for the past two months and are open to meeting his £12m valuation. 5. Gianluigi Donnarumma – another goalkeeping target? – Oblak isnt the only stopper on Uniteds radar. Donnarumma, 16, has been described as the new Gianluigi Buffon and has made 11 appearances for the Rossoneri this season. The Red Devils have been interested in the teenager since his emergence onto the senior stage at the start of the campaign, and they are said to be preparing a £30m bid. 6. Pep Guardiola – Adidas to encourage United to move? – Guardiola recently opened the door to a Premier League move in the summer, which has put Englands elite on high alert. It remains anyones guess where the Spaniard will end up next, but what could play a key role in helping United to seal a deal for is their partnership with Adidas. The German sports manufacturer are said to be eager for the former Barcelona manager to replace Van Gaal at Old Trafford to help mend the clubs faltering status. 7 7. Lionel Messi – United’s sponsors want the Ballon d’Or winner, too? – Not only do Adidas want Guardiola, but they also want the worlds greatest player at the Theatre of Dreams. With the kit brand recently criticising Uniteds style of play, it seems that they are keen to rebuild Uniteds status as a European powerhouse, and want to reunite the Spaniard and Argentinian at Manchester United as part of their plan. Messi is Adidas most reputable client and they could thus play a key role in his future. 4. Jan Oblak – a hint that David De Gea’s future is far from certain? – Its been stated that Real Madrid will return with offer for De Gea, despite the fiasco in last summers transfer window, and, unsurprisingly, United are looking at possible replacements to their current number one. Oblak was linked with an Old Trafford move before the start of the current season, and while De Gea stayed put, signing a new long-term deal, the former has continued to be monitored by the Red Devils. 7 7
2 Rangers’ defence creaked continuously last term as Bruno Alves, Fabio Cardoso, Danny Wilson, David Bates, Ross McCrorie and Russell Martin all failed to provide an effective back line.Whether Gerrard can get his new stars to gel, though, is another matter. With the Liverpool legend coming under intense scrutiny in his first managerial role. Connor Goldson could be joining Rangers in the coming days having been linked with a £3million switch. Nikola Katic chats to RangersTV after signing for the Scottish Premiership club. Rangers have completed the transfer of defender Nikola Katic from Slaven Belupo.The Croatian international has put pen to paper on a four-year contract with the club. 2 Manager Steven Gerrard had feared he was set to lose out on the 21-year-old NK centre-back to Russian outfit Spartak Moscow.But they pulled out of the race, leaving Rangers free to wrap up a deal as Gerrard adds a fifth piece to his Ibrox renovation project.Katic joins Scott Arfield, Jamie Murphy, Allan McGregor, and Liverpool winger Ovie Ejaria in moving to Ibrox this summer as Gerrard attempts to challenge Celtic for the Scottish Premiership title.Brighton defender Connor Goldson is being linked with a £3million switch in the coming days which would further strengthen his backline ahead of the new season.
A HEARTBROKEN mother whose son was battered to death by a hammer-wielding Donegal Town man has said his conviction for murder has been a “relief” for the family.Following the convictions of Derek Johnston, his two sons and a fourth man, Mr Amar’s mother Flora Amar, from London, and his uncle Zafar Ismail, said in a statement: “The news that all four men have been convicted of Shaleem’s murder has been received with a sigh of great relief by his family and friends after 13 months of so torturous and agonising waiting.“Both of us on behalf of all the family and friends would like to express our deep gratitude and great appreciation for the prosecution barristers, Noel Lucas QC and Matthew Walsh for their professionalism and passion for justice, police family liaison officers Densel McIntosh and Melanie Ward for their loving care and dedication, and also Det Sgt Mark Davis and the investigation team for their meticulous hard work and dedication on this case.” Yesterday donegaldaily.com revealed that Johnston is on suicide watch after being told he must serve a minimum 28 years behind bars for the brutal killing in England last November.https://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/12/28/donegal-killer-on-suicide-watch-as-he-insists-im-innocent/© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comHAMMER HORROR CASE: ‘I’M GLAD DONEGAL TOWN MAN IS BEHIND BARS FOR LIFE’ was last modified: December 28th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:convicted of murderderek johnston donegal town