He is to explain the government decision at a press conference later Monday.Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said she had asked Abe’s minister responsible for the virus outbreak Yasutoshi Nishimura about the government’s plan for an extension.”The minister told me they were putting it together for an extension to May 31,” Koike said in a video message to residents late Sunday.As experts met Monday, Nishimura warned the battle against the virus was far from over. Topics : Japan’s government prepared Monday to extend its nationwide state of emergency to the end of May as it braces for a lengthy battle against the coronavirus pandemic.Prime Minister Shinzo Abe declared an initial month-long state of emergency for Tokyo and six other regions on April 7, later expanding it to cover the entire country.It is to expire on Wednesday, but Abe is expected to announce an extension to May 31 after consulting infectious diseases experts. “Preparing for the fact that it will take a long time to deal with this infectious disease, I’d like you to propose concrete examples of a new way of life that would enable people to prevent infections while maintaining social and economic activities,” he told a gathering of experts.Japan’s state of emergency is significantly less restrictive than measures seen in parts of Europe and the United States. It allows governors to urge people stay at home and call on businesses to stay shut.But officials cannot compel citizens to comply, and there are no punishments for those who fail to do so.Local reports said the government would continue to urge residents in 13 high-risk prefectures, including Japan’s biggest cities, to cut person-to-person contact by 80 percent and exercise other strict social distancing rules.But museums, libraries and some other facilities are likely to be allowed to reopen so long as they take anti-virus measures.For the rest of Japan, prefectures will be allowed to loosen restrictions on business closures and small gatherings but residents will still be asked not to travel outside their home regions. Bars and nightclubs will be asked to remain shut.Japan has reported a comparatively small scale outbreak, with more than 15,000 infections and 510 deaths so far.But there have been persistent fears about a spike in infections that could quickly overwhelm the country’s healthcare system.Doctors’ associations have warned that hospitals are already stretched thin, with officials in Osaka even calling for donations of raincoats to serve as protective equipment for health workers stuck using trash bags.Measures have been implemented to try to ease the pressure, including sending coronavirus patients with mild symptoms to hotels for quarantine rather than keeping them in overcrowded hospitals.The government has also said it is increasing testing capacity but continues to face criticism for the relatively low numbers of tests being carried out, in part because of stringent criteria.
The European Commission has launched a consultation to help it decide whether there is a need for an EU framework for the amicable prevention and resolution of disputes between public authorities and investors.The main focus of the consultation is on mediation, which the Commission said could help ensure a cost-effective and quick resolution of disputes between investors and public authorities, and even prevent such problems.However, mediation did not appear to be used very much, it said.An alternative policy option, according to the Commission, could be to establish a network of national contact points, which would be responsible for providing advice and information to investors about the local legal environment relevant to their investment. These contact points could intervene on investors’ behalf with public authorities when complex legal or factual situations require such action. The Commission is also seeking views on where more awareness about the existing rights of cross-border EU investors is needed.It said there was “currently some degree of complexity and an apparent lack of awareness amongst a number of market participants, legal practitioners and the public authorities on the level of protection afforded to cross-border EU investors by EU law”.The Commission said it planned to provide guidance on existing EU rules for treatment of cross-border investments.The backdrop to the consultation is the Commission’s Capital Markets Union (CMU) project and the ambition to facilitate more cross-border investments in the EU.Commission vice-president Valdis Dombrovskis, responsible for financial stability, financial services and the CMU, said: “The single market already contains clear safeguards for setting up businesses or buying companies in other EU countries.“But for a well-functioning single market the adequate and amicable prevention and resolution of disputes could be a useful supplement to existing rules. This is why the Commission is exploring whether rules for the amicable resolution of investment disputes should be set up in order to save time and money both for EU investors and national authorities.”The consultation is open until 3 November 2017 and can be found here.
Share Michele Henderson performing at the launching ceremony of Da Vibes Inc and Vibes Radio last month.Michel Henderson, the Midnight Groovers Band, the Tradibelle Cultural Group and the Golden Squad Reggae Band are down to receive awards in Grandbay tonight, as part of Fete Isidore activities.Henderson said she is hoping that her award tonight will motivate other artistes to do their best.“It’s an honor to be awarded and recognized by your fellow citizens and I appreciate that. I hope it serves as an inspiration not just in arts but anything that they put themselves into,” she said.Dominica Vibes News 53 Views no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Share EntertainmentLocalNews Four cultural icons to be honored tonight by: – June 9, 2011 Tweet
The Cabatuan police chanced upon Alde having a drinking session along the road in Barangay Tiring. The 36-year-old Jason Alde was caught around 9:20 p.m. on May 19, a police report showed. ILOILO City – Police arrested a resident of Barangay Tiring, Cabatuan, Iloilo for violating liquor ban imposed during the general community quarantine period. The suspect was taken to the municipal police station. Charges for violation of Article 151 of the Revised Penal Code, or disobedience in relation to liquor ba will be filed against him./PN
The best of luck to our area Cross Country teams and individuals during The Semi-States at Carmel this Saturday (10-26).The Girls Teams are Oldenburg Academy and Batesville. Individual athletes include Megan Hoover-North Decatur, Kinzie Scott-Rising Sun, and Shelby Pake-Greensburg.The Boys Team is South Dearborn. Individual athletes include Curtis Eckstein and Justin Fledderman-Oldenburg Academy, Austin Allen-South Ripley, and Peyton Buening-Greensburg.
Area Soccer SectionalsTuesday (10-2)Girls Sectionals.Batesville.Batesville 5 Franklin County 0Rising Sun.Oldenburg 4 South Ripley 0Greenfield-Central.Richmond 1 East Central 0Mt. Vernon 2 Greenfield-Central 2 (MTV wins on PK)Boys Sectionals.Jac-Cen-Del.Rising Sun 2 Switzerland County 0Southwestern 2 Jac-Cen-Del 1Mt. Vernon.Mt. Vernon 2 New Palestine 1East Central 10 Richmond 0
Olawale Ajimotokan in AbujaThe Federal Government has approved a draft bill for the domestication of international convention against doping.Minister of Sports and Youth Development, Mr. Sunday Dare, presented the draft bill at the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja yesterday. Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare The bill, according to the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, is to be sent to the National Assembly for consideration.Mohammed said the purpose of the draft bill was to make anti doping a law in Nigeria.The international convention against doping is a multilateral treaty adopted at the General Conference of UNESCO in Paris in October 2005.Nigeria is one of the 187 signatories to the treaty aimed at preventing and eliminating doping in sports.The domestication the law will align Nigeria’s domestic rule with the World Anti- Doping Code, promulgate by World Anti- Doping Agency (WADA).Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Published on February 7, 2015 at 9:19 pm Contact Jesse: firstname.lastname@example.org | @dougherty_jesse Facebook Twitter Google+ PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh slid into a 2-3 zone with under 12 minutes left and the Syracuse offense stalled.Passing lanes to Rakeem Christmas in the post, which the Orange had bounced the ball through all game, were now occupied by a half-dozen active hands. Kaleb Joseph found the cracks but had two shots carom off the back rim. The top of the zone pressed up to take any and all space away from Trevor Cooney.But the defensive adjustment didn’t account for Michael Gbinije, who took a break from attacking the rim to hit a pair of 3s that forced Pitt back into a man-to-man. In all, Gbinije scored a game-high 23 points — shooting 9-of-15 from the field and 3-of-6 from 3 — and collected four steals in the Orange’s (15-8, 6-4 Atlantic Coast) 83-77 loss to Pittsburgh (16-8, 5-5) at the Petersen Events Center on Saturday.Gbinije also played 38 minutes and finished with four rebounds and three assists in Syracuse’s first game after announcing a self-imposed postseason ban on Wednesday.“They were really keying on Rak,” Gbinije said of what led to him exploiting the Panthers defense. “Using him in the pick and roll really freed up things for me and other players.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBefore shooting Pittsburgh out of its zone, Gbinije found success off the dribble in the first half.He hit a fadeaway jumper just inside the 17-minute mark and then followed with a pair of acrobatic plays before the under-16 media timeout. On the first, Gbinije drove into the paint, cupped the ball on his right hip and finished the play by banking a floater square off the backcourt and into the net.Then, after Cooney missed a wide-open layup on the break, Gbinije collected a rebound in traffic and drew a foul before laying in two. That gave Syracuse a 13-5 lead and initiated identical celebrations from Gbinije and Cooney, who both leaned back and clenched their fists in front of a portion of Pitt’s student section.“He’s been playing really well,” said Joseph. “He’s confident and shooting the ball at a really high level.”At the end of the game, after the Pittsburgh zone came and went and the Orange gradually lost its grip on the game, the ball rightfully found itself in Gbinije’s hands.Gbinije went coast-to-coast and glided in for a layup to cut the Panthers lead to 80-77 with 52 seconds left, but he wasn’t as successful on SU’s next possession. His 3-point attempt from the top of the key hit the back rim and bounced way into the air, and Pittsburgh’s win was all but sealed when Jamel Artis came down with the rebound.And as the Panthers student section roared around him, Gbinije sighed, placed his hands on top of his head and slowly walked down the court before the clock eventually ran out.Said SU head coach Jim Boeheim: “I thought that Mike had an unbelievable game.” Comments
With the onset of warmer weather and the last day of classes just a week away, one can practically hear the final sighs of spring in the air. There’s another sound, though, and it’s virtually inescapable.It’s the pervasive clanking of tent construction.The sea of white tents and stages around campus signals the arrival of the 17th annual Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, a sprawling, two-day celebration of reading and writing — the nation’s largest event of its kind.Photo courtesy of Michael KovacThis year’s event features almost 300 booths, hosting a variety of exhibitors, from booksellers and publishers to cultural organizations. There’s also a long list of intriguing participating authors, including Lakers legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and acclaimed food writer Jonathan Gold.It’s worth noting that this year’s festival will mark only the second time that USC hosts the event. For 15 years, the festival took place on crosstown rival UCLA’s Westwood campus. The shift to USC’s campus was motivated by numerous factors, including the Los Angeles Times’ desire to make the event more conveniently accesible to all L.A. residents, as well as to foster future growth.“It wasn’t that we were looking to leave UCLA, per se, but rather to move somewhere more centrally located in relation to the rest of the city,” said Maret Orliss, the senior programming manager for the Times.Orliss noted that USC’s status as a private university also had its benefits.“There were possibilities for USC to expand the festival that UCLA could not match — not through any fault of their own,” Orliss said, “but simply due to USC’s being a private university where you can just talk to someone to make a decision, whereas UCLA is a state university and often presents a longer process.”The festival’s budget also raised some strife: Negotiations between the Times and UCLA regarding how to share expenses became an issue of contention, with budget cuts to the UC system making it difficult for the school to support the festival, according to a September 2010 Times report.Ellie Launer, a junior majoring in theater at UCLA, said though it seems many current students didn’t actively participate in the festival when it was held on UCLA’s campus, the move away from the school was still disappointing.“With all of the protests and budget cuts, I feel the festival wasn’t a huge priority [for] the school’s administrators,” Launer said. “It was a really great opportunity, though, and I had a great time. It’s a shame the underclassmen never got to see it here.”Photo courtesy of Michael KovacAs was hoped, the Festival of Books indeed saw growth in its first year at USC, with an unprecedented number of visitors — more than 140,000 — and a huge increase in the number of book drive donations, from 800 to 4,000. This year’s festival presents further expansion still, with more exhibitors and events than ever as well as the establishment of a food truck court on Cromwell Field — a response to visitors’ demands for more dining options in an open setting.Other new features include a greater focus on the School of Cinematic Arts. Orliss noted a screening of the director’s cut of Watchmen that will be preceded by a discussion from representatives of DC Comics on the new Watchmen prequel comic series. Oddly enough, there will also be a live reading of an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, which does nothing if not demonstrate the festival’s breadth.Both school administrators and the Times have committed to having the festival at USC’s University Park Campus for an indefinite period of time.All these actions require funding, and though neither Orliss nor the university were able to comment on the specifics of the festival’s finances, it’s safe to assume that the festival represents a hefty investment for USC.Austin Vogel, a sophomore majoring in computer science, believes it’s all worth it.“[The Festival of Books] attracts a lot of public attention to the university, which is obviously beneficial, and it also shows our commitment to giving back to the community in the form of a great event,” Vogel said. “It also helps independent vendors and authors to show their work.”Jeremy Slap, a sophomore majoring in philosophy and neuroscience, put it more simply: “It’s festive, and there are a ton of books. It’s a lot of fun.”No one is quite sure what form books and literature will take in the coming years, but this doesn’t seem to faze the festival’s coordinators. John Conroy, a spokesperson for the event, said the festival looks to address the rise of the literary journal, including the Los Angeles Review of Books, and to judiciously adapt to the dynamic development of new media.Perhaps most telling, the Times includes a curious question on its Festival of Books “Attendee FAQ”:“Will the festival still be a celebration of the written word?”The answer?“Yes. Now and always.”
USC’s long search for a new women’s basketball head coach ended on Friday, as Athletic Director Lynn Swann announced Mark Trakh would return after an eight-year absence to lead the Trojans.“We are thrilled to welcome Mark back to USC,” Swann said. “It was important for us to hire a coach who really wanted to be at USC, who truly cares about our student-athletes and who believes in the Trojan way of excelling. We found that coach in Mark Trakh. He has the experience and maturity to help our young team grow and develop.”Photo from TwitterTrakh, 61, previously coached USC for five seasons, from 2005 to 2009, guiding the Trojans to two NCAA Tournament berths and four Pac-12 Tournament semifinals (one final). The NCAA Tournament appearance in 2005, Trakh’s first season, was the program’s first in seven years, and USC progressed past the first round, losing on a last-second basket against top-seeded Michigan State in the Round of 32.After departing USC in 2009 for personal reasons, Trakh spent two years away from basketball before coaching the past six years at New Mexico State, where he compiled a 104-80 record. The Aggies were 24-7 overall last season and boasted a perfect 14-0 record in conference play. They lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to eventual finalist Stanford.“I’m excited to once again be a part of the great tradition at USC,” Trakh said. “I feel that there is a ton of potential in this team, and I look forward to start working with them.”Trakh takes the place of former head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, who resigned last month after four years at USC. The Trojans finished 14-16 and lost to Cal in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament in Cooper-Dyke’s final season.USC finished with a 15-14 record in Trakh’s final season, falling to Stanford in the Pac-12 Championship in the Trojans’ first-ever tournament final.“The goal and expectation is always to get to the Final Four,” Trakh said. “I really want to reignite the tradition of excellence that we have at USC. It all starts with recruiting and coaching up the women and helping them succeed. I also look forward to coaching again in the Pac-12, which is filled with great teams and coaches and is really a conference of national contenders.”Trakh’s arrival brings an end to an extended coaching search during which multiple candidates linked to USC took positions at different programs — some at rival Pac-12 schools.“Mark is a great teacher of the game,” Swann said. “Players enjoy playing for him. He is a very effective recruiter. And he has a knack for taking teams to the NCAA Tournament, which we look for him to continue doing.”