A 56-hour curfew was in effect this weekend “due to the uncontrolled spread of Covid-19 in 29 communities on the Navajo Nation,” Jonathan Nez, the Navajo president, said in a statement released on Sunday.That spread is “largely due to travel off the Navajo Nation and family gatherings,” the statement said. – Advertisement – The Navajo Nation, under a weekend lockdown, is averaging more than 100 new daily cases for the first time since early June.The nation, which stretches across much of northeastern Arizona and into parts of Utah and New Mexico, reported 124 new coronavirus cases and two new deaths on Saturday.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – In Apache County, whose population is about three-quarters Native American, turnout increased by 27 percent since the 2016 election, with over 98 percent of votes reported on Sunday evening. The nation has recorded 12,571 total cases and 593 deaths from the virus, according to the Navajo Department of Health. In addition to the strict weekend lockdown, a weekday curfew is in effect from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.- Advertisement – “The numbers are not looking good for us here on the Navajo Nation and across the country,” Mr. Nez said in the statement.The curfews come after extensive restrictions this summer, when roads were closed to outside visitors, and restaurants — including even some fast food drive-throughs — were shut down.Despite the spike — cases began increasing at the end of September — voter turnout increased significantly this year compared with 2016 in the Arizona counties that overlap the Navajo and Hopi tribal lands.
Fashion/Telegraph 16 March 2015Italian fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana have already issued a statement this morning expressing that it was never their intention to judge gay parenting and marriage after Elton John took to Instagram to publicly denounce remarks made by the pair in Italy’s Panorama magazine.Now Gabbana has spoken in more detail about the scandal to Corriere Della Sera, labelling Elton John’s call for his fans to boycott the Dolce & Gabbana brand “unenlightened” and “ignorant”.Speaking to Matteo Persivale, Gabbana argues that Dolce’s comments were taken out of context.“They’re just putting words into our mouths, now. They’re saying we are against gay parenting. It’s not true. Domenico only expressed his opinion about the traditional family and about In Vitro Fertilisation. If someone else wants to make different choices, fine, they are free to do it. We demand the same respect.”Asked about how he felt after reading Elton John’s comments on Instagram and his hashtag #BoycottDolceGabbana, Gabbana describes his shock.“I didn’t expect this, coming from someone whom I considered, and I stress “considered”, an intelligent person like Elton John. I mean, you preach understanding, tolerance and then you attack others? Only because someone has a different opinion? Is this a democratic or enlightened way of thinking? This is ignorance, because he ignores the fact that others might have a different opinion and that theirs is as worthy of respect as his.”In response to John’s petition for his followers to #BoycottDoceGabbana, Gabbana retorted by posting the word #Fascist! on John’s wall before calling on their followers to #BoycottEltonJohn.“Come on, I was annoyed for a moment. It would be ridiculous. Either you like somebody’s songs or you don’t. When you go to the greengrocer’s, you don’t make sure that he agrees with your views on IVF. You just want to know if he has fresh products… We are not boycotting and we will not boycott anyone ”http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/article/TMG11474820/Stefano-Gabbana-condemns-unenlightened-ignorance-of-Elton-John-in-wake-of-BoycottDolceGabbana-campaign.html
The No. 5 USC women’s golf team looks to recover from its worst outing in four months this week at the Bruin Wave Invitational at the Robinson Ranch Golf Club in Santa Clarita, Calif.Last week, at the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson, Ariz., the Women of Troy finished in 12th place, and they are looking to put that poor performance behind them.“It’s not a good thing that happened, but it’s better to happen earlier in the season” said junior Lizette Salas. “We’re looking to start fresh.”The whole team could use that fresh start, including sophomore Jennifer Song, the No. 1 collegiate golfer in the country.Song enters this week coming off her worst finish of the season, a tie for 22nd, which included the worst round of her USC career, an 80. It was the first time Song had finished in the 80’s as a Trojan, and the All-American looks to regain her momentum this week.Senior Belen Mozo, going for her fourth All-American award this season, was the strongest of the Women of Troy last week, tying for 12th place overall.Mozo appears to have completely recovered from the shoulder injury she sustained at the end of her junior season, and is ready to resume her place at the top of the leader board every week. With one more round below 70,Mozo will set a USC record for career sub-70 rounds, currently held by Mozo, Song, and former Trojan Irene Cho.Salas, a two time All-American, is also recovering from her worst outing of the season, a tie for 53rd. She feels prepared to bounce back this week. “We worked really hard in the weight room and at practice, and we feel ready for real golf instead of cart golf” she said, noting that the golfers were allowed to use carts in Tucson.Also heading to Santa Clarita are sophomore Inah Park and freshman Cyna Rodriguez. Park’s tie for 57th last week was her season worst, just as Rodriguez had a season low with her tie for 84th.The Women of Troy have their work cut out for them this week, as they enter the Invitational with no positive momentum. They face tough competition that includes No. 1 Arizona State, who took home the title in Tucson, and No. 2 UCLA. Despite the short turnaround, the team feels confident heading into the first round.“We’re definitely ready and we feel right,” Salas said.The tournament runs Monday through Wednesday.
A young Syracuse fan with orange hair wanted his dad to take his hands off of him. The child, in an orange Syracuse shirt, was upset. But his father, wearing a sky blue, Old Dominion No. 1 jersey, was fired up. ODU had pulled off a massive upset, and the father wanted to run to the visiting tunnel at the other end of the Carrier Dome to see the Monarchs leave the floor.Just feet away, the same dichotomy took place on the court. Syracuse’s players sulked, their heads hung and shoulders drooped, off the floor toward the locker room. After the buzzer, Old Dominion’s squad ran to meet their teammates near the bench, smiling and clapping their hands, before exchanging high-fives.No. 25 Syracuse (7-3) struggled to pull away from Old Dominion (8-3) for much of Saturday’s first half. But the Orange pulled away for a 10-point lead at the break. Against SU’s season narrative, though, the Orange collapsed in the second half, giving up 45 second half points in a 68-62 loss. The Orange lost the second half by 16 points, their largest second-half deficit of the season.“We assumed they were gonna lay down, or I don’t know what we were thinking,” SU guard Frank Howard said. “But we just weren’t engaged and we just didn’t have that same intensity. You could feel it, you could see it. Our pace was slower. It’s just not who we are. That’s how we’ll lose.”For much of the Orange’s first nine games prior to Saturday, they looked like a different team in first halves compared to second halves. Entering Saturday, Syracuse’s margin in the first 20 minutes was plus-14, compared to a plus-73 differential in second halves. That threatened to be the case again Saturday, as with four minutes to go in the opening half, Syracuse led by a point.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textOshae Brissett had picked up three first-half fouls. The Orange struggled to contain Old Dominion’s 7-foot-1, 285-pound center Elbert Robinson III inside. Syracuse’s offense was settling for perimeter jumpers, including inefficient long 2s, and ODU gobbled up rebounds to prevent second chances.Then, Tyus Battle helped awaken the Syracuse offense. After a Howard free throw, Battle scored eight-straight SU points followed by an Elijah Hughes 3. From a nail-biter, the Orange went into halftime comfortably up double-digits.But Syracuse again looked like a different team in the second half Saturday — just in reverse.“We got too comfortable,” Brissett said. “We didn’t really try to separate the game like we usually do.”More coverage:The Final Word: Syracuse upset against unranked Old DominionGallery: Syracuse falls to Old Dominion in Carrier DomeSyracuse bigs overpowered in loss against Old Dominion Published on December 15, 2018 at 2:17 pm Contact Billy: firstname.lastname@example.org | @Wheyen3 Ahmad Caver and B.J. Stith, the Monarchs’ two best players, had been quiet in the first half, but both made plays early in the second half to tighten the score. Stith scored 18 second-half points after not scoring in the first 20 minutes. SU’s zone allowed driving lanes it hadn’t in the first half and gave up open perimeter looks to ODU.“They got four or five corner 3s,” Howard said. “On almost every 3 they hit today was something we talked about during the week.”Even when things went right for Syracuse, like 6-foot-8 Brissett blocking 7-foot Dajour Dickens’ dunk attempt, they didn’t stay that way. Stith hit a jumper on that same possession to make the block a moot point. Later, SU forced a contested corner 3 but it bounced up off the rim and fell through.ODU took a 51-50 lead with about five minutes to go when Howard and Battle both spread to guard players on the wings, but Caver stood at the top of the key, unmarked. He drained the 3. Then, a few minutes later, after Hughes missed an on-the-move 3, Caver set up Xavier Green for a catch-and-shoot triple from the right wing to go up four.“They made a couple big shots,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said.Old Dominion kept answering, and for the first time all season in a second half, Syracuse ran out of responses. Battle’s late pull-up jumpers that fell against Georgetown didn’t against the Monarchs, until one brought Syracuse within three but too late. Twice, the Orange tried to find 7-foot-2 Paschal Chukwu on lobs and threw the pass too high. And ODU made its free throws down the stretch, something SU couldn’t do, going 22-of-34 from the foul line. “We just didn’t play offensively in the second half,” Boeheim said. “…We’re just not making anything. That’s the bottom line.”In only three of Syracuse’s first nine games did the Orange manage a better point-differential in the first half than the second. Those three times, that first-half margin was large enough that Syracuse had no trouble winning.This time, Syracuse had a chance to win its sixth-straight game and a chance to head into Tuesday’s matchup with undefeated Buffalo as a ranked, Interstate-90 duel. It could’ve put the early two losses at Madison Square Garden further in the rearview mirror. But the Orange didn’t do that.Instead, on Saturday against Old Dominion, SU’s worst second-half differential of the season meant a positive first-half margin didn’t matter. It hadn’t been enough.“We just weren’t engaged in the second half,” Howard said. “We laid down. Lessons learned. We got beat.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+