FS1’s Tim Brando: Notre Dame Will Eventually Join ACC Football, Is Key To Conference Launching Network

first_imgA Notre Dame cheerleader holding pompoms with the Notre Dame flag in the background.SOUTH BEND, IN – SEPTEMBER 30: A Notre Dame Fighting Irish cheerleader performs during a game against the Miami (Oh) Redhawks at Notre Dame Stadium on Seotember 30, 2017 in South Bend, Indiana. Notre Dame defeated Miami (OH) 52-17. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)This week, there has been a lot of noise made about the future of a possible ACC Network, which has been long discussed as a possibility for the league with ESPN. In a column on Campus Rush, Sports Illustrated‘s Pete Thamel called the network “imminent.” FOX Sports 1’s Tim Brando, who also calls ACC basketball games for Raycom Sports, doesn’t quite believe that we’ll see an ACC Network all that soon, but he does think it is coming, and the lynchpin to a launch is Notre Dame joining as a full conference member. That, he believes, will happen.Brando previously discussed Notre Dame’s role in the eventuality of the ACC Network on Twitter, and cleared things up a bit on “The Audible” podcast with Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandel. Notre Dame/ACC talk starts around the 18-minute mark.On the ACC Network:“I do believe it’s going to happen, and I believe it’s going to happen when Notre Dame understands that it’s in their financial best interest to be in a conference, because they cannot command the same dollar from NBC or any other network by simply having seven home games televised. If you look at the revenues generated by both the Big Ten, the SEC, and the ACC without a network, as a conference member full time, they would, not only right now but certainly in the future, do much better than they are doing with their current arrangement. And I think that’s where we sit.”Brando says that if Notre Dame joins a conference in the next 10 years, the ACC is the only option:“No, Notre Dame cannot have a wandering eye. They not only signed a grant of rights with the ACC, but they signed an additional contract, which mandates that if they do become a conference member in football, there is no other place they can do that other than the Atlantic Coast Conference. And that’s through the year 2025. So (ACC commissioner) John Swofford and his people did a remarkable job when they brought Notre Dame in, to secure that when the Irish blue bloods decided ‘you know what, maybe it’s time to join a conference,’ they need to do that.”Perhaps most surprisingly, he predicts that this will unfold in the next three years.“I really believe that as we move forward, it’s a little early to be thinking about starting a linear network now, given the economics… It may not be the time in a year or two years, but in three years I believe you’ll be looking right down the pipe at an ACC Network, and I think the reason will be Notre Dame elected to become a full-time member.”The ACC is often viewed as the weakest of the Power 5 conferences, although with the Big 12’s issues, and the recent success of Clemson and Florida State, as well as a slew of strong hires this year, the league appears to be on solid ground. If it does, in fact, bring Notre Dame into the fold as a full member, it would be a massive coup for Swofford and company.[FOX Sports]last_img read more

Continue reading

JJ ordered to pay USD 572 million for opioid addiction crisis

first_imgWashington: An Oklahoma judge has ordered US health care giant Johnson & Johnson to pay USD 572 million in damages for its role in fostering the state’s opioid addiction crisis. In the first civil trial of a drugmaker over an epidemic that has caused hundreds of thousands of overdose deaths, Judge Thad Balkman on Monday said prosecutors had demonstrated that J&J contributed to a “public nuisance” in its deceptive promotion of highly addictive prescription painkillers. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal “Those actions compromised the health and safety of thousands of Oklahomans,” he said. According to the ruling, the company and its Janssen pharmaceuticals division will fund an “abatement plan” for care for addicts, families and communities ravaged by the crisis. “The defendants Janssen and Johnson & Johnson’s misleading marketing and promotion of opioids created a nuisance,” Balkman said. J&J was the first pharmaceutical company tried over the US opioid crisis, which fuelled over 70,000 overdose deaths in 2017 alone. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost But there are some 2,000 outstanding lawsuits against many drugmakers and distributors filed by state and local governments, many overwhelmed by the costs of an epidemic that has only slightly abated. Most of those are being rolled into a case to go to trial in October in Ohio that will likely set the basis for potentially many billions of dollars in settlements across the country. Prosecutors had sought USD 17 billion in damages against J&J for an abatement program to be spread over 30 years. But Balkman said the state had not made a strong case for the future costs of the crisis to it and the community beyond one year, and so limited his ruling to that. J&J’s shares rose about two percent to USD 130 in after-market trade following the decision. The company immediately said it would appeal the decision. “Janssen did not cause the opioid crisis in Oklahoma, and neither the facts nor the law support this outcome,” said J&J executive vice president Michael Ullmann. “The unprecedented award for the state’s ‘abatement plan’ has sweeping ramifications for many industries and bears no relation to the company’s medicines or conduct.” J&J argued that the law was being inappropriately applied and that its products had a very small role in the addiction epidemic in Oklahoma and nationally. Balkman said J&J had promoted its drugs by telling doctors and patients that pain was not being treated enough and that “there was a low risk of abuse and a low danger” in the drugs themselves. “The defendants used the phrase ‘pseudoaddiction’ to convince doctors that patients who exhibited signs of addiction… were not actually suffering from addiction, but from the undertreatment of pain,” he said in his decision. He also said the company consciously downplayed risks it knew were present, pointing to the 2007 USD 600 million fine in a Virginia trial of Purdue Pharma, one of the leading prescription opioid makers, for misleading the health industry and the public about the highly addictive properties of its Oxycontin painkiller. J&J is the first drugmaker to go to trial and the case is seen as a bellwether for thousands of possible criminal and civil suits over the seeming uncontrolled distribution of highly addictive painkillers like oxycodone and hydrocodone, and J&J’s Nucynta and Duragesic, between 2000 and 2015. Two other major drugmakers accused in the same suit, Purdue Pharma of the United States and Israel’s Teva, settled with Oklahoma before the case went to trial. Purdue, which produced the widely abused opioid Oxycontin, agreed to pay the state USD 270 million in March and Teva negotiated an USD 85 million settlement. Dozens of local and state governments across the country have also already exacted settlements with opioid manufacturers and distributors to address their problems.last_img read more

Continue reading

Ohio States Eli Apple making a turnaround as a redshirtfreshman

Redshirt-freshman cornerback Eli Apple (13) waits for the ball to be snapped during a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15 in Minneapolis. OSU won, 31-24.Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editorAfter sending a first-round draft pick in Bradley Roby to the NFL, the Ohio State Buckeyes had a void to fill at cornerback.Enter Eli Apple.The redshirt-freshman cornerback has stepped into a starting role for the Buckeyes and has helped the OSU defense to the 18th best pass defense in the country.OSU coach Urban Meyer said he was pleased to see Apple’s success after a less-than-successful 2013 redshirt year for the New Jersey native.“Eli Apple is a guy that I’d like to think is a product of the way we do our business,” Meyer said Monday. “In the weight room, in the classroom … he was not what we wanted when we signed him.”Apple agreed with his coach, adding that he was challenged more than just physically in his first year as a Buckeye.“Mentally and physically, I wasn’t ready at all as far as tackling,” Apple said Monday. “As far as getting in the weight room, I wasn’t really strong enough to really play out there, I was getting tossed around a little bit.”Meyer said the physical struggles weren’t the only thing holding Apple back.“He was lazy in the classroom, lazy about his business (but he has) got a great family, they really supported us in our disciplining of him, and he’s doing great in school and great on the field,” Meyer said. “And I grabbed him yesterday and I said, ‘This is what we recruited.’ He’s playing pretty well.”Apple said he’s worked on getting his grades up, and added that he believes it is showing on the field.“I feel like it all goes hand-in-hand,” he said. “When you are doing good in school, you are doing good in football. It all correlates.”Apple has started all but one game this season, but it was in the game he didn’t start that he made arguably his biggest impact.After fellow redshirt-freshman cornerback Gareon Conley gave up a 44-yard completion and a subsequent touchdown on Michigan State’s opening drive Nov. 8, Apple was called upon to come into the game and perform, which co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach Chris Ash said Apple did admirably.“He did not practice at all (that) week. Did not take one rep at practice. And leading up to the game, even on Saturday morning, we weren’t sure if Eli was going to be able to play or not,” Ash said on Nov. 10. “But throughout the course of the game, from when he went in to that point, he made some plays, both in the run game and in the pass game. I mean he showed some grit, some determination, some guts, some toughness that honestly we didn’t know Eli had.”Apple tied for the team lead for pass breakups against the Spartans with two, and added a tackle for loss from the corner spot.Apple said his improvements this season are because he’s learned from the veterans in front of him.“When I first got here, I definitely had my little struggles. I feel like that redshirt year really helped me a lot just watching guys like Roby, watching guys like (senior cornerback) Doran (Grant), see how they handle their business and picking up stuff from them,” Apple said. “When I came in this year, I really wanted to take an approach — take things serious, work on my technique, work on all aspects of my game and it has really helped out.”Grant, who Meyer said Monday he would nominate for an all-Big Ten honor, said before the Michigan State game that Apple was already showing signs of improvement.“(He is) getting better and growing every day,” Grant said Oct. 22. “You just see him growing and taking coaching and just getting better as a player everyday and that’s good.”Apple said playing opposite of Grant has been one of the most important keys to his personal progress.“I feel like my confidence has grown after each game,” Apple said. “It’s just great being a starting corner, playing opposite of Doran Grant, somebody that just takes the game so serious. It’s one of those things where you have to raise your game up a notch every week because you got somebody like him who just goes so hard and has great preparation.”Apple and the Buckeyes are now preparing for the Indiana Hoosiers as the two teams are scheduled to kick off at noon on Saturday from Ohio Stadium. read more

Continue reading

Old Dhaka warehouse fire under control

first_imgThe fire originated in a paper warehouse in Lalbagh of Old Dhaka on Saturday night has been brought under control.According to the Fire Service Central Control Room, the fire originated at the warehouse at Shahidnagar Amligola around 9:40pm.On information, seven firefighting units rushed in and brought the fire under control around 10:30pm, said duty officer at the control room Ataur Rahman.However, there was no report of any casualty, he said.What actually caused the fire is still not clear.last_img read more

Continue reading

Man duped of Rs 1 lakh near Paribesh Bhavan

first_imgKolkata: A person was duped by three other over exchange of US dollars. The incident took place on Tuesday morning in front of Paribesh Bhavan in Salt Lake.According to police, on Tuesday morning a person named Abdul Halim, a resident of Karaya, went to Bidhannagar South police station and informed that he has been cheated of Rs one lakh. He was promised hundred notes of 20 US dollar.According to the complaint filed, Halim had met a person at Chittaranjan National Medical College called Kabil on August 30. Kabil was collecting help stating that he needs money for his father’s heart operation. On hearing this, Halim gave him a hundred rupee note. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeImmediately after that Bilal took out a 20 US dollar note and asked Halim to exchange it. When Halim asked as to how he got this dollar, Kabil said his father used to work abroad and earned some dollars during his tenure. He added that he has such 100 notes at home at a remote village and would want to exchange all the dollars.Following this Halim took the dollar and exchanged it from Park Street. He handed over Rs 950 to Kabil and his father at the Paribesh Bhavan crossing. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedKabil told Halim that his father’s operation will be done at a hospital in Salt Lake opposite Salt Lake stadium. He urgently needed Rs 1 Lakh for the operation and in return, he will give him his dollars.As per the deal, Halim reached Paribesh Bhavan the next day in the morning. Around 8:50 am, Kabil’s brother Musha and his father came with a packet wrapped in a towel. After the money and packet was exchanged, Musha asked Halim to verify the dollars.While Halim was unpacking it, both Musha and his father fled. On opening the packet, he found some folded newspapers and a diswashing soap bar.last_img read more

Continue reading

Lhasa city to promote the construction of highway

Tibet autonomous region to promote economic development in the past few years, the establishment of a number of routes to help people achieve better and faster development, worthy of attention. 3017 years, built from Lhasa to Linzhi, Gongga airport to Ze when high-grade highway. This reporter has learned that this year, Lhasa city road will be opened to traffic; at the same time, three road is expected to open in July.

The

of the party since eighteen, Tibet autonomous region, and vigorously promote the construction of highway traffic, formulated the "Tibet autonomous region traffic super conventional development plan", the implementation of the gala mountain tunnel and Yajiang bridge expansion project and Milin to Pakistan, Lhasa to Linzhi, to the Gongga airport to Xigaze Peace Airport to Zetang and sangzhu Zi highway engineering Lhasa City, the construction of road project. read more

Continue reading