Nicholls’ Lewis Cox Named Men’s Tennis Player of the Week

first_imgDespite the Colonels (2-7, 0-1 SLC) falling 4-2 to UTRGV in its lone match of the week, Cox was able to win one of two singles points for his side. Nicholls returns to Southland action Wednesday when New Orleans (4-5, 0-0 SLC) heads into town for a 2 p.m. CT start. The Colonels then host Alcorn State on Thursday at 1 p.m. and UIW (5-7, 0-0 SLC) on Saturday at 11 a.m. Honorable Mention: None. In his only match this week, Cox defeated UTRGV’s Zane Kohrs in straight sets at the No. 5 flight. He gave up just four points across the match, defeating his opponent 6-3, 6-1. With rain in the forecast, doubles were not played. Southland weekly award winners are nominated and voted upon by each school’s sports information director. Voting for one’s own athlete is not permitted. To earn honorable mention, a student-athlete must appear on at least 25 percent of ballots. Men’s Tennis Player of the Week – Lewis Cox, Nicholls – Fr. – Sheffield, England This is the first weekly honor for Nicholls this season. FRISCO, Texas – Nicholls’ Lewis Cox is the Southland Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Week, the league announced Tuesday. Southland Conference Players of the Week are presented by UniversalCoin.com.last_img read more

Continue reading

Chelsea and Spurs in race for Nick Pope as Mourinho eyes Lloris replacement

first_imgCHELSEA and Tottenham could go head-to-head in the race to sign Nick Pope, according to reports.The Burnley keeper, 27, has attracted admirers across the Premier League and the London rivals are said to be in for him as they look to replace Kepa and Hugo Lloris respectively.5 Chelsea and Tottenham are both interested in signing Burnley keeper Nick PopeAfter some shaky performances from Lloris, 33, before his horror elbow injury earlier in the season, Jose Mourinho is ready to look to Turf Moor to replace the World Cup winner, according to football.london.Lloris has kept just two clean sheets in 18 appearances this season.And after Paulo Gazzaniga failed to set the world alight – also recording just two clean sheets in the 18 Premier League games in which he replaced Lloris – Spurs fans are beginning to feel it is time for a change between the sticks.CHELSEA NEWS LIVE: Follow for the latest Blues newsAt Stamford Bridge, Frank Lampard has grown increasingly frustrated with Spanish stopper Kepa, 25, and will reportedly encourage the Blues’ hierarchy to land the England ace in his place.Before coronavirus put a temporary stop on Premier League action, the Chelsea boss had banished Kepa to the bench and promoted veteran keeper Willy Caballero to the starting XI instead.And in the next transfer window, he will reportedly try to get rid of the Spaniard for good.MOST READ IN FOOTBALLTHROUGH ITRobbie Keane reveals Claudine’s father was ’50-50′ in coronavirus battleTOP SELLERGavin Whelan has gone from League of Ireland to David Beckham’s InstagramPicturedAN EYEFULMeet Playboy model and football agent Anamaria Prodan bidding to buy her own clubI SAW ROORodallega saw Rooney ‘drinking like madman’ & Gerrard ‘on bar dancing shirtless’ExclusiveRIYAD RAIDMan City’s Riyad Mahrez has three luxury watches stolen in £500,000 raidNEXT STEPJonny Hayes set to move to English Championship having been let go by CelticREF RELEASEDChampions League ref Vincic released by cops after arrest in prostitution raidKEANE DEALEx Man United youth ace David Jones says Roy Keane negotiated a contract for himKepa has been linked with a return to Spain two years after his record £71.6million move from Athletic Bilbao.Earlier this month, Graeme Souness urged the West Londoners to replace the under-fire 25-year-old with Atletico Madrid’s Jan Oblak.The club have been linked with several keepers since Kepa’s downfall – mainly Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Sheffield United stopper Dean Henderson, Ajax’s Andre Onana, and most recently Bayern Munich legend Manuel Neuer.5 The Blues will only act if they can get shot of Kepa5 Huge Lloris has struggled for form this season and could be replaced by Pope5 Jose Mourinho is reportedly willing to sign the England ace5 Chelsea are also said to be interested in signing Manuel Neuer from Bayern MunichPremier League to ‘restart in July’ and could be finished in just four weeks in hectic dash behind closed doorslast_img read more

Continue reading

Only 2 changes to Hunters team for round 25 clash

first_imgThis is the last round of the Intrust Super Cup before the finals.Coach, Michael Marum has made only two changes to his side that came back to force a draw against the Mackay Cutters last Saturday.Halfback Ase Boas has been named in the starting line-up after being rested last weekend.Boas teams up with five-eighth Israel Eliab in a deadly combination.Another change is the return of second rower Brandy Peter who was out due to injury.Sunday’s game at the Sir John Guise stadium kicks off at 2:30pm.The finals begin on September 5th.The team: 1. Stargroth Amean, 2. Bland Abavu, 3. Noel Zeming,4. Thompson Teteh, 5. Adex Wera,6. Israel Eliab© 7. Ase Boas, 8. Henry Noki, 9. Wartovo Puara, 10. Esau Siune, 11. Brandy Peter,12. Kato Ottio, 13. Timothy Lomai. Interchange: 14. Warren Glare, 15. Atte Bina, 16. Willie Minoga, 17. David Lapua, 18. Roger Laka.last_img read more

Continue reading

Arsenal says ‘no’ to Ceballos

first_imgDani Ceballos wants to break his assignment in Arsenal, although it is very complicated that this situation can come to fruition. The English team has informed Real Madrid and also the soccer player that it is not for the work of letting him out in this winter market. The Andalusian does not count for Arteta (he has not given him any minute since he arrived), although the club leaders consider the season to be very long and can be an important footballer in some section of it. The situation is very complex because the decision to leave for the London team was exclusively from Ceballos. It was a request from Unai Emery, who was dismissed, and Madrid was limited to respecting the decision of a football player who did not count for Zidane. The utrerano negotiated with Arsenal his new conditions and closed his relationship until next June 30. So, from the white club they consider it a situation that must be resolved in one way or another between Dani and Arsenal. It is a different situation from that of Jesús Vallejo, who has broken his assignment with Wolverhampton. In his case, it was from the hand of Madrid, which recommended him to go there because it was a request from Nuno. There is still a market week, although Arsenal does not seem to work to change its decision. Madrid, given the situation, does not intend to pressure a club with which it maintains an excellent relationship. They are worried about the situation of Ceballos, although it was his decision to go to London and it is he who must try to win a position there. Valencia, pendingCeballos, meanwhile, is very concerned about the European Championship. He always said he was looking for minutes because he wants to play that championship and with the change of coach (Arteta instead of Emery) everything has taken a radical turn. He has gone from being an important player to not playing a single minute. A circumstance that, if maintained until the end of the course, would leave him without going to the Eurocup … Given this perspective, Valencia has been interested in the possible transfer of the Utrera footballer. Albert Celades Perfectly knows the virtues of Ceballos and Mestalla would be a destination of the player’s liking.last_img read more

Continue reading

Setién, under Seville minimum: 14 players of the first team and only three strikers

first_imgQuique Setién has no players to discard. In fact, the situation is so dramatic that it summons all available first team players. And even then you cannot complete a list. It is what has to give approval to a template with 18 chips of the first team, knowing in advance that you can only have 17 because Luis Suarez is injured for long duration. The Cantabrian coach accepted the challenge with his eyes closed, letting the winter market pass without strengthening despite losing up to three players -Todibo, Aleñá and Wagué- not counting Carles Pérez, of the subsidiary, who participated in the dynamics of the first team since start of season Thus, the complete list of those summoned for the match against Betis (9 pm) in Benito Villamarín is as follows: Ter Stegen, Semedo, Sergi Roberto, Lenglet, Umtiti, Alba, Junior, Sergio Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal, Arthur, De Jong, Griezmann, Messi, Fati, Peña, Riqui Puig and Araújo. This anomalous situation makes him practically a survivor in every call. This Saturday he only had 14 players of the first team, because the long-term loss of Luis Suárez has joined that of Ousmane Dembélé, which will be operated next Tuesday in Finland for a complete rupture of the proximal tendon of the biceps femoris of the right leg and thus says goodbye to the season, plus the casualties of goalkeeper Neto and central Gerard Piqué. The latter also was already known low before being injured: he will complete this card cycle before Betis. With so few wicks, Setién has had to massively leverage the subsidiary -There is the circumstance that García Pimienta’s team is also under a minimum of troops-, taking a total of four players to Seville. Apart from striker Ansu Fati, who has been with the first team since the beginning of the course, the goalkeeper Iñaki Peña, the defender Ronald Araújo and the middle Riqui Puig will travel with the team. It is surprising that there are only three strikers on the list: Griezmann, Messi and Ansu Fati. Any eventuality would force Setién to denature the attack, having to put up Vidal or Sergi Roberto, for example.last_img read more

Continue reading

Official: the coronavirus causes six Serie A matches to be played behind closed doors

first_img“We have sent an official request for the closed-door development of the Inter-Ludogorets Europa League match on Thursday, and we expect a response in a short time,” Gravina said in a press conference organized after a meeting organized at the Roman headquarters of FIGC to analyze the measures to be taken in the coming days.The coronavirus has already caused seven deaths and more than 229 infected in recent days in northern Italy, and four Italian Serie A matches were postponed this Sunday for security reasons.The leadership of the Italian sport and the Government are working to manage the emergency and, at the sports level, it is necessary to dispute the meeting between Inter and Ludogorets on Thursday, because on Friday the draw for the round of 16 of the Europa League will be held.Gravina also explained that, in the absence of definitive confirmation, it is very likely that the next day of Series A will also be held behind closed doors. “I think that Sunday will be played behind closed doors. This evening we should receive the response from the Government,” said the Italian federal president. Italian football is still in suspense for the coronavirus. The Italian Sports Minister, Vicenzo Spadafora, has confirmed that the matches played in the regions of Lombardy, Veneto, Piedmont, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Liguria and EMilia-Romagna will be behind closed doors. In Series A they are affected six meetings of day 26: Udinese-Fiorentina, Milan-Genoa, Parma-SPAL, Sassuolo-Brescia, Juventus-Inter and Sampdoria-Verona. While Lazio-Bologna, Naples-Torino, Lecce-Atalanta and Cagliari-Roma will be allowed the presence of fans.Gabriele Gravina, president of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), said Monday that he asked the Italian government for authorization to play this Thursday’s second leg of the round of 16 of the Europa League between Inter Milan and Ludogorets, which It must be played in Milanese terrain, behind closed doors, because of the alert for the coronavirus. Finally, UEFA announced Monday that the match will be played without a public. last_img read more

Continue reading

Alisson: “I took my daughter out of school, we want zero risk”

first_imgAlisson is still injured. A muscle problem deprived him of being measured with Atlético and he has to follow a treatment. “I don’t see myself with my colleagues, we are all at home, I only have contact with the retriever and with the goalkeeping coach; we spend all our time at home without leaving, that is the best way to prevent the virus from spreading,” he says the goalkeeper.England has taken more days to give the order to close the schools, the measure is effective from today, but many have been closing because the parents themselves have stopped bringing their children or at the initiative of the centers themselves in the face of the epidemic. Despite the numbers of victims and victims in countries such as Spain, Italy, France or Germany, Boris Johnson and his Executive have preferred a gradual action and in many sections they are still in the recommendation phase. England has been one of the countries that have taken the most time to take drastic measures against the expansion of the coronavirus. Boris Johnson’s executive was still in the recommendation phase this week, despite expert opinion. In fact, schools are still open. In this sense, Alisson, a Brazilian goalkeeper from Liverpool and ambassador of the World Health Organization, explained today through his social media profiles that he has decided to stop taking his three-year-old daughter Helena to school. “I took the girl out of school because in England they were not closed yet, we made that decision for safety and prevention reasons, we want to run a zero risk, “said the goalkeeper, who points out that his wife Natalia is part of the population at risk due to a problem with low defenses.last_img read more

Continue reading

April 23, 2019, Girona’s first contact with the First Division

first_imgYou have to take a look at the past to try to understand the present and in Girona they have bad memories of what happened just a year ago. The rojiblanco team managed to walk for the First for 71 days with a firm step (his first full season in the gold category of Spanish football and 33 matches of his second), but On April 23, 2019, the beginning of the end arrived. On matchday 34 last year, after falling in Valladolid (1-0) and Levante defeating Betis (4-0), the team led by then Eusebio Sacristán stepped on the relegation positions. It was the first time since the 2016-17 campaign was promoted. The problem, that he did not know how to take off and the end was inevitable: return to Second A.Girona seemed to have found its place in the First Division, but in the confirmation campaign, the second, it collapsed. The pressure, the poor results in the second lap, not being used to dealing with the descent and an eternal confidence in Eusebio Sacristán weighed heavily. On April 23, 2019, on day 34, it was the first time that Girona stepped on the posts that led to Second and in the end it was not known to redirect the situation. And that a day later, in the 35, the rojiblancos achieved a great victory against Sevilla that allowed them to take some oxygen and put two points away from the last three classified. But it was a mirage. The last three league games were insufferable and garnered three defeats that were incompatible with saving the category. The direct rivals managed to add and the Gerundians first fell in Getafe and then against Levante in Montilivi. This left them virtually in Second and The decline was mathematical in the last league match against Alavés at home (2-1). In Girona they still cannot explain exactly what happened, but it is that the team collapsed. It was an announced death and the first time they dealt with relegation in Primera was just a year ago. Incredible but Girona lost the category and now it is their turn to fight in the Second after having only been four days downhill in the two seasons they were in the First. Of course, all of them in their second campaign and at the end of the League. And this was damning.last_img read more

Continue reading

Calabar, Camperdown clash in crucial game three

first_imgDefending champions Calabar High and Camperdown High square off today in the decisive game of the ISSA Southern Conference Under-19 best-of-three schools basketball final series at the National Indoor Sports Centre. Tip-off time is 6 p.m.Calabar levelled the series last Friday after they initially won Game One, which was ruled null and void after both teams had problems with their identification cards.Camperdown returned to win the replay and the lead in the series, however, the champions tied the series 1-1, and following that win, coach Ludlow Barker believes his charges are now mentally ready for the challenge.”We had a rough week, but we came back, fought hard, and I am really proud of them … Camperdown did a lot of things right the first game and we did a lot of things wrong. They were better, and we had to really dig deep and come up good Game Two,” he said.He anticipates and an even more testing match from the Oneil Brown-coached Camperdown today.”I expect them to come even harder, but we’ll be ready. We’ll be prepared as the players are more mentally ready to get the job done,” he added..Brown is of the view that Calabar’s talisman Maliek McCarthy was the difference in Game Two and he credited the Calabar star for his “composure and decision making under pressure”. However, he said that his team is fired up for today’s match.”I am 100 per cent confident that we are going to take Game Three. We have everything in place and we have something new to the table as we will be bringing in a new player. He has not played all season long and he should make a big difference to the guard position. So we are very confident we are going to take Game Three,” he said.last_img read more

Continue reading

Atletico beat Sevilla to stay in front in Spain

first_img “We are improving little by little,” Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone said. “Possibly, this was one of the best matches we’ve played in a very long time.” Koke opened the scoring with a strike from near the penalty spot in the 35th minute; Gabi added to the lead with a shot that deflected off the back of a defender in the 78th; and Martinez came off the bench to seal the win with a well-placed left-footed shot from the top of the area in the 85th. It was the first Spanish league goal for the Colombian forward, who transferred from FC Porto. “We are thrilled to win in such a difficult environment,” Koke said. “Sevilla is one of our main rivals.” MADRID (AP): Jorge “Koke” Resurrecciun, Gabi Fernandez and substitute forward Jackson Martinez scored a goal each as Atletico Madrid defeated Sevilla 3-0 yesterday to win their second game in a row and keep pace with Barcelona atop the Spanish league. Atletico and Barcelona are among the only four teams to have won both matches to start the season, along with Celta Vigo and surprising Basque club Eibar. Celta and Eibar finished the second round atop the standings with six points and the same goal difference. Each team scored five goals and conceded one. Celta defeated Rayo Vallecano 3-0 on Saturday, while Eibar beat Athletic Bilbao 2-0 in their home opener yesterday. Real Madrid rebounded from a scoreless draw against newly promoted Sporting Gijon with a 5-0 rout of Real Betis in their first match at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday, while Barcelona edged Malaga 1-0 at the Camp Nou yesterday. After struggling in their opener at home, Atletico picked up a convincing win at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium in Sevilla, showing that they have the strength to be considered an early contender for the title. Little improvementlast_img read more

Continue reading